Saturday, June 09, 2007

Don't we like surprises?

This afternoon went by quickly. I had something to look forward to in the evening and though the day was somewhat slow, I was content to wait.
In the last hour of the day I was sent to water one of the greenhouses. We have three greenhouse on the property - only one is "open" to the customers. The other two are "working" greenhouses. I headed up to the farthest one and set to work screwing on the water wand and untangling the hoses. Once I was set up, I went on autopilot; watering doesn't take much thought.
I finished watering the outside tables and got started on the inside of the greenhouse. I was still on autopilot. More often than not, I sing to myself or even talk to myself (how embaressing). It's generally safe; customers don't come up there and I can usually hear people walking up to the door. Today, however, I never heard him coming.
Suddenly a voice came up from behind me, "Is this where the leeks and shallots are?"
I was shocked at the sound of a man's voice, and nearly scared out of my wits, but I turned around thinking I was some what composed. But when I saw who it was I'm sure I came unglued!
A friend had stopped by to see me at work. I kept saying, "What are you doing here?" (How rude of me.) We chatted for a minute, just long enough for me to regain my balance, then he left and I finished watering. He waited for me to finish working and then he drove me to town.
We met up with the fam for dinner and watched Ocean's 13. It was a fun evening.
And I like suprises. :-)

No comments: