Wednesday, June 17, 2009

From Strength to Strength

I have been attending Nancy Wilson's recent bible study on contentment. This past Monday she spoke on dealing with discontent. She told a story about one of their first homes which you can read about here

Our little home is in the basement of our landlords house. We live on the corner of the block and park on the street. In the months of February and March, my husband is my greatest encourager as I vaccum lots and lots of sugar ants. It's perfectly cool in the summer, but cold in the winter. We wear lots of extras in the winter time. Our house is painted a maroon red in the kitchen and a wheat color in the living and dinning room areas. I love the colors! Lots of newlyweds live in the places painted "apartment white".

Our little home has been our since we were married. We came home to it after our wedding and honeymooned here. We've enjoyed our first year and a half here. Every spring, after the bugs and during the cold, I complain. I ask to move! My requests are for a place "above ground". I miss the sun in the winter time. A basement can be pretty dark sometimes.

After listening to Nancy Wilson's story of their home and moving, I realised that I should be pleased with the wonderful home we have. We have no reason or need for moving, other than being discontent.

When I was little Dad and Mom would pray with us. They taught us to be thankful for everything and I should remember that lesson from childhood; thank you for the roof over our heads, our bed, our warm house, our furniture, the color on the walls, the pictures, the flowers from my husband, the carpet, the blankets, our books, our friends, warm weather in the summer time, sunshine, etc.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

The person who lives inside my house is the favorite part of my house. When I come home I feel like Tom Bombadil coming home to Goldberry.

Love,
Jesse

em said...

Jesse and Kate, you are a wonderful example of a godly couple. I am so honored to be related to you, and I love you both!