Wednesday, March 12, 2014

One Year Ago Today, part 4

One year ago today we sat across the table from Epiphany's birth parents at Red Robin. Cara, our case worker, was there. So was their aunt.

After we were served our food, the birth mom handed me a card and said something like "this is for you" - I smiled, said thanks, looked at Jesse and said should I open it? I did and he read it over my shoulder.

It was a Congratulations on Your New Baby card.

When I looked up at her with a few tears in my eyes, she was smiling. I'll never forget that smile because my daughter still wears it. They said that they were so glad we were willing to meet with them again, in person, so they could tell us that they would like us to be the adoptive parents to the baby.

Jesse wasn't able to say anything, so I said thank you. Thank you for the card, for wanting to meet with us, for this gift. They also thanked us for writing our profile, for being willing to be interviewed and for bring who we were. They were glad to begin a friendship with us.

I remember they said they'd like us to wait at the hospital during the birth.

And they said we should name her.

We talked for 2 more hours and ended the visit with a plan to meet again the next day for bowling.

Jesse and I drove back to our hotel and hugged & kiss each other before calling our families. This was something I'd waited a long time to do - announce the expectation of our child! 2 weeks! Due in 2 weeks!

After dinner (I have no memory of eating), we went to Babies R Us and we each picked out an outfit for our baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made me cry! What a beautiful story. I love you all!

Em