Friday, June 23, 2006

Holy Sonnet X: Death, Be Not Proud

Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor death, nor yet canst thou kill me.
From rest and sleep, which yet thy pictures be,
Much pleasure, then from thee much more, must low
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings and desperate men
And dost with poison, war and sickness dwell,
And poppy or charms can make us sleep as well
And better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die

I've always loved this one. While at work I have quotes running through my head and this one will often take precedence. I love the end quatrain and couplet. "Thou art slave to fate, ... desperate men ... poppy or charms can make us sleep as well and better than thy stroke; why swell'st thou then?"

p.s. Speaking of poetry, I have a friend who quotes Shakespeare without knowing it. Would that I could too.

5 comments:

Erin said...

LOL! Yes, I know that last remark was aimed at *me*. :-) I still cannot figure out how I did that....

I really really like that sonnet! I have mostly only read plays of Shakespeare's, but his sonnets are beautiful too.

Kelsie Handel said...

I hate to burst a bubble but I believe John Donne wrote that and not Shakespeare.

Kate Sumpter said...

You did break my bubble. *sigh* lol Don't you hate public embaressment. I mean, maybe I should start double checking things before I make them public to the World Wide Web. ;-)

Sherry said...

Hi Kate,

I like this sonnet speaking to death. Right now I'm reading a book that is narrated by death. I'm not sure yet if the author is succeeding, but it's interesting. Mrs. M

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.