Tuesday, February 25, 2014

One Year Ago Today, part 1

One year ago today Jesse and I were staying with our nieces and nephews while their mom and dad had a weekend away. I was at work in the afternoon when I got a call from the adoption agency we worked with.

"A birth family liked your profile and wants to interview you."

The call we'd be waiting for, the call expressing interest, had come. Someone had read our profile, added us to their "maybe" pile and decided to meet us.

Coming to the decision to adopt is difficult. I've seen a young woman ready to give a gift, a young man who wasn't able to handle the decision, and a couple searching for direction as time draws near. I appreciated that our adoption agency encouraged an interview process; a chance for both families to meet, talk, hear each other laugh and prepare for a new relationship.

I took down all the details I could, told our case worker we'd call her tomorrow and called Jesse. We talked quickly since he was in the middle of full time Uncle Afternoon, but his encouraging words were that there were no red flags. No concerns. No immediate hesitation.We'd never come to this stage in the adoption process before and we were ready to proceed.

I called the agency back and set up an appointment for Friday, March 1st.

No comments: