Sunday, March 02, 2014

One Year Ago, part 2

One Year Ago, yesterday, we met Epiphany's birth parents for the first time. We sat in a room waiting for them and then we heard them enter the main doors of the building and the ladies at the front desk greeted them. We heard them walk down the hallway.

My memories of first seeing them are dim. It was such a rush of excitement and nerves that the moment past without much imprint.

I remember wondering if I should introduce myself with my last name or not.
I remember thinking my palms were sweaty.
I remember hoping I didn't stutter or stumble over my words.

I remember seeing a well-built, dark haired man with a black dog and woman whose pregnancy wasn't immediately noticeable. I remember thinking that was how my mom carried my youngest brother. She was short, with curly hair and was dressed in comfortable pants and shirt with a sweater. It was wonderfully warm for March 1st.

Our caseworker, Cara, began with some general introductions and since they had both brought notepads with them, she offered to let them ask anything they wanted.

I remember feeling like they knew all about us, from the information off our profile, but I didn't know anything about them. I felt comfortable with the way they looked at us, smiled, looked as awkward as I felt.

We were asked questions and we got to ask them a few questions. I wasn't sure what to ask so it wouldn't seem like prying. We heard how they met and how he proposed. We heard about his mission trip to East Europe and her trip to China. He called himself a "Sports Dork" and she liked to write and read.

Our first visit was comfortable and we felt there was room for a friendship to grow. We were excited and worn out.

A year ago we met two people who changed our lives. Our adoption story has been one of great grace, ease and smooth sailing. And a large part of our joy was made possible by two people who cared, loved and freely gave.

No comments: